Dale County, Alabama Genealogy
Dale County, Alabama genealogy and family tree research page. Discover links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to assist you to you track your personal Dale Co., ancestors. Get started by constructing a Free Family Tree.
Dale County was created on Dec. 22, 1824 and was formed from Covington County and Henry County.. This particular county was named in honor of Samuel Dale (1772–1841), pioneer, Indian fighter, brigadier general and state legislator.
The Dale County Seat was located at Dale Court House, which later became Daleville. An election in 1870 resulted in the removal of the county seat to Ozark. In addition the county government website is http://www.dalecountyal.org/
Locations adjacent Dale County happen to be Barbour County (north), Henry County (east), Houston County (southeast), Geneva County (southwest), Coffee County (west), Pike County (northwest).
Cities and towns found in Dale County consist of Ariton, Asbury, Clayhatchee, Daleville, Dothan, Enterprise, Fort Rucker (U.S. Army base, treated as a census-designated place), Grimes, Level Plains, Midland City, Napier Field, Newton, Ozark, Pinckard.
Dale County includes Federal Census Schedules to assist in looking into your family tree. Government Population Schedules can be found for 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. Dale Co. Slave Schedules can be obtained for 1850 & 1860. Dale Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Dale Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Dale Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. Two State censuses for confederate veterans exist for 1907 and 1921. You can find free down-loadable and also printable census forms that can help with your research.
Dale County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Dale County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives. See Also Alabama Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links.
- Dale County Historical Society, , PO Box 1231, Ozark, AL 36361
- Southeast Alabama Genealogical Society, Box 246, Dothan, AL 36302-0246, Publication: Wiregrass Roots
- Ozark Public Library, Phone 334-774-5480
- ALDALE. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in Dale County, Alabama. To subscribe send "subscribe" to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode).
- Alabama State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Dale County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Dale County, Alabama Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Dale County
- Dale County, Alabama Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Dale County
Dale County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist often overlook the significance of Dale County court, probate, and land documents as a source of genealogy and family history details. Buried away in Alabama courthouses and archives just about everywhere are often the hopes and dreams and frustrations of countless Alabama people. The odds are excellent that your ancestors and forefathers have left a in-depth record of at least several aspects of their lives in the Dale County court records. Even if your forebears is not discussed in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which could have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
You need to speak to the clerk's office to identify hours, mailing address, fees and other facts prior to visiting or asking for information because of in some cases changing contact info. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it's up to the person to carry out the research.
There was record loss due to a courthouse fire in 1869 and 1884The below facts shows exactly what birth, marriage, death, land, probate, and legal records will be in Dale County. The years pointed out below could be the first widely known documents in this county.
- Dale County Clerk of Circuit Court serves as custodian of all county court records, and is responsible for providing access to those court records by court personnel, the legal community and the public.
- Address: P.O. Box 246, Ozark, AL 36361-0246
- Phone: (334) 774-2754, (205) 774-6025
- Court Records: 1884
- Divorce Records: are maintained among the equity records (Divorces issued prior to 1950 are located here. Divorces issued after 1950 can be found at the Alabama Department of Public Health)
- Dale County Clerk of Probate Court maintains following records in the probate office: Plats, Maps, Judgments, Liens, Deeds, Mortgages, Corporations, Lis pendens, Marriage licenses, Military discharges. The Probate Judge presides over all probate court hearings for Probate of Wills, Administrations, Conservators, Guardianships, Adoptions, Legitimations, Name changes, Condemnations, Mental Commitment hearings, and performs marriage ceremonies.
- Address: P.O. Box 246, Ozark, AL 36361-0246
- Phone: (334) 774-2754
- Marriage Records: 1884 (Marriages issued prior to 1936)
- Probate Records: 1895
- Land Records: 1884
- Dale County Revenue Commissioner's Office maintains County tax records. These records are usually arranged by legal description and are not indexed.
- Dale County Health Department has Birth Records from 1919 , Death records from 1920. You may go to any county health department in the State of Alabama to obtain a certificates can be issued while you wait.
Dale County Genealogy Links
The following are web links to Genealogy and family history, Records and Resources relevant to Dale County. Each of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is basically a directory that has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to present your own favorite Dale County genealogy or family history related sites.
Dale Co. AL Books, Newspapers & Publications
Dale Co. AL Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Dale Co. AL Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Dale Co. AL Census Records
Dale Co. AL Cemeteries & Graveyards
Dale Co. AL Church & Bible Records
Dale Co. AL Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Dale Co. AL General and History Websites
Dale Co. AL Immigration & Naturalization
Dale Co. AL Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Dale Co. AL Military Records
Dale Co. AL Schools & Directories