Franklin County, Alabama Genealogy
Franklin County, Alabama genealogy and family tree research page. Discover links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to assist you to you track your personal Franklin Co., ancestors. Get started by constructing a Free Family Tree.
Franklin County was created on Feb. 6, 1818 out of the Cherokee Cession of 1816. This particular county was named in honor of Benjamin Franklin.
The county seat was originally located at Russellville, named after William Russell, an early settler and chief scout for Gen. Andrew Jackson during the Creek Indian War of 1813-14. In 1849, the county seat was transferred to Frankfort, where it remained until 1879 when it was moved to Belgreen. A courthouse fire in 1890 probably accounted for the relocation of the county seat to Russellville in 1891. In addition the county government website is http://www.franklincountyal.org
Locations adjacent Franklin County happen to be Colbert County (north), Lawrence County (east), Winston County (southeast), Marion County (south), Itawamba County, Mississippi (southwest), Tishomingo County, Mississippi (northwest)
Cities and towns found in Franklin County consist of Belgreen, Hodges, Phil Campbell, Red Bay, Russellville, Vina
Franklin County includes Federal Census Schedules to assist in looking into your family tree. Government Population Schedules can be found for 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. Franklin Co. Slave Schedules can be obtained for 1850 & 1860. Franklin Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Franklin Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Franklin Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. Two State censuses for confederate veterans exist for 1907 and 1921. You can find free down-loadable and also printable census forms that can help with your research.
Franklin County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Franklin County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives. See Also Alabama Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links.
- ALFRANKL. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in Franklin County, Alabama. To subscribe send "subscribe" to firstname.lastname@example.org (mail mode) or email@example.com (digest mode).
- AL-NW-FRANKLIN. A mailing list for the discussion and sharing of information regarding Family Groups in NorthWestern Franklin County, Alabama, centered around the communities of Belgreen and Pleasant Site. The common family groups include Bolton, Bonds, Jones, Massey, Carpenter, McKinney, Strickland, Thorn, Horton, McAfee, McMurray, Chamblee, Gray, Petree, Hester, Ezzell, Malone and many related families. To subscribe send "subscribe" to firstname.lastname@example.org (mail mode) or email@example.com (digest mode).
- Alabama State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Franklin County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Franklin County, Alabama Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Franklin County
- Franklin County, Alabama Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Franklin County
Franklin County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist often overlook the significance of Franklin County court, probate, and land documents as a source of genealogy and family history details. Buried away in Alabama courthouses and archives just about everywhere are often the hopes and dreams and frustrations of countless Alabama people. The odds are excellent that your ancestors and forefathers have left a in-depth record of at least several aspects of their lives in the Franklin County court records. Even if your forebears is not discussed in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which could have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
You need to speak to the clerk's office to identify hours, mailing address, fees and other facts prior to visiting or asking for information because of in some cases changing contact info. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it's up to the person to carry out the research.
There was record loss due to a courthouse fire in 1890 .The below facts shows exactly what birth, marriage, death, land, probate, and legal records will be in Franklin County. The years pointed out below could be the first widely known documents in this county.
- Franklin County Clerk of Circuit Court serves as custodian of all county court records, and is responsible for providing access to those court records by court personnel, the legal community and the public.
- Address: 410 N. Jackson St, Russellville, AL 35653
- Phone: 256-332-1210
- Court Records: 1890
- Divorce Records: are maintained among the equity records (Divorces issued prior to 1950 are located here. Divorces issued after 1950 can be found at the Alabama Department of Public Health)
- Franklin County Clerk of Probate Court maintains following records in the probate office: Plats, Maps, Judgments, Liens, Deeds, Mortgages, Corporations, Lis pendens, Marriage licenses, Military discharges. The Probate Judge presides over all probate court hearings for Probate of Wills, Administrations, Conservators, Guardianships, Adoptions, Legitimations, Name changes, Condemnations, Mental Commitment hearings, and performs marriage ceremonies.
- Address: P.O. Box 1438, Russellville, AL 35653
- Phone:(256) 332-1210
- Marriage Records: 1890 (Marriages issued prior to 1936)
- Probate Records: 1890
- Land Records: 1818
- Franklin County Revenue Commissioner's Office maintains County tax records. These records are usually arranged by legal description and are not indexed.
- Franklin County Health Department has Birth Records from 1916 , Death records from 1892 . You may go to any county health department in the State of Alabama to obtain a certificates can be issued while you wait.
Alabama Historical Records
- Databases include Alabama Court, Land, Wills & Financial Records; Alabama Birth, Marriage & Death Records; Alabama Voter Lists & Census Records; Alabama Immigration & Emigration Records; Alabama Obituary Records; Alabama Military Records; Alabama Family Tree Records; Alabama Pictures; Alabama Stories, Memories & Histories; Alabama Directories & Member Lists and much more....
Franklin County Genealogy Links
The following are web links to Genealogy and family history, Records and Resources relevant to Franklin County. Each of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is basically a directory that has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to present your own favorite Franklin County genealogy or family history related sites.
Franklin Co. AL Books, Newspapers & Publications
Franklin Co. AL Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Franklin Co. AL Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Franklin Co. AL Census Records
Franklin Co. AL Cemeteries & Graveyards
Franklin Co. AL Church & Bible Records
Franklin Co. AL Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Franklin Co. AL General and History Websites
Franklin Co. AL Immigration & Naturalization
Franklin Co. AL Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Franklin Co. AL Military Records
Franklin Co. AL Schools & Directories