Geneva County, Alabama Genealogy
Geneva County, Alabama genealogy and family tree research page. Discover links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to assist you to you track your personal Geneva Co., ancestors. Get started by constructing a Free Family Tree.
Geneva County was created on Dec. 26, 1868 and was formed from Coffee County, Dale County and Henry County.. This particular county was named for Geneva, its principal town and county seat..
Currently the Geneva County Seat is located in Geneva, (it was named for Geneva, Switzerland, by Walter H. Youge, a native of Switzerland, who served as the town's first postmaster) and in addition the county government website is http://www.genevacounty.net/
Locations adjacent Geneva County happen to be Colbert County (north), Lawrence County (east), Winston County (southeast), Marion County (south), Itawamba County, Mississippi (southwest), Tishomingo County, Mississippi (northwest).
Cities and towns found in Geneva County consist of Belgreen, Hodges, Phil Campbell, Red Bay, Russellville, Vina.
Geneva County includes Federal Census Schedules to assist in looking into your family tree. Government Population Schedules can be found for 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. Geneva Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1870 and 1880. Geneva Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be obtained for 1870 and 1880. Geneva Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. Two State censuses for confederate veterans exist for 1907 and 1921. You can find free down-loadable and also printable census forms that can help with your research.
Geneva County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Geneva County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives. See Also Alabama Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links.
- Geneva County Historical Society, Inc., 406 South Commerce St., Geneva, AL 36340; Phone: 334-684-2100
- Southeast Alabama Genealogical and Historical Society, Box 246, Dothan, AL 36302-0246 ; 334-794-8378; Publication: Wiregrass Roots SEAGHS Magazine
- ALGENEVA A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in Geneva County, Alabama. To subscribe send "subscribe" to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode).
- Alabama State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Geneva County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Geneva County, Alabama Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Geneva County
- Geneva County, Alabama Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Geneva County
Geneva County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist often overlook the significance of Geneva County court, probate, and land documents as a source of genealogy and family history details. Buried away in Alabama courthouses and archives just about everywhere are often the hopes and dreams and frustrations of countless Alabama people. The odds are excellent that your ancestors and forefathers have left a in-depth record of at least several aspects of their lives in the Geneva County court records. Even if your forebears is not discussed in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which could have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
You need to speak to the clerk's office to identify hours, mailing address, fees and other facts prior to visiting or asking for information because of in some cases changing contact info. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it's up to the person to carry out the research.
There was record loss due to a courthouse fire in 1898. The below facts shows exactly what birth, marriage, death, land, probate, and legal records will be in Geneva County. The years pointed out below could be the first widely known documents in this county.
- Geneva County Clerk of Circuit Court serves as custodian of all county court records, and is responsible for providing access to those court records by court personnel, the legal community and the public.
- Address: P.O. Box 430, Geneva, AL 36340-0430
- Phone: (334) 684-9300
- Court Records: 1898
- Divorce Records: are maintained among the equity records (Divorces issued prior to 1950 are located here. Divorces issued after 1950 can be found at the Alabama Department of Public Health)
- Geneva County Clerk of Probate Court maintains following records in the probate office: Plats, Maps, Judgments, Liens, Deeds, Mortgages, Corporations, Lis pendens, Marriage licenses, Military discharges. The Probate Judge presides over all probate court hearings for Probate of Wills, Administrations, Conservators, Guardianships, Adoptions, Legitimations, Name changes, Condemnations, Mental Commitment hearings, and performs marriage ceremonies.
- Address: P.O. Box 430, Geneva, AL 36340-0430
- Phone: (334) 684-2276
- Marriage Records: 1898 (Marriages issued prior to 1936)
- Probate Records: 1898
- Land Records: 1868
- Geneva Revenue Commissioner's Office maintains County tax records. These records are usually arranged by legal description and are not indexed.
- Geneva County Health Department has Birth Records from 1937 , Death records from 1937. You may go to any county health department in the State of Alabama to obtain a certificates can be issued while you wait.
Alabama Historical Records
- Databases include Alabama Court, Land, Wills & Financial Records; Alabama Birth, Marriage & Death Records; Alabama Voter Lists & Census Records; Alabama Immigration & Emigration Records; Alabama Obituary Records; Alabama Military Records; Alabama Family Tree Records; Alabama Pictures; Alabama Stories, Memories & Histories; Alabama Directories & Member Lists and much more....
Geneva County Genealogy Links
The following are web links to Genealogy and family history, Records and Resources relevant to Geneva County. Each of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is basically a directory that has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to present your own favorite Geneva County genealogy or family history related sites.
Geneva Co. AL Books, Newspapers & Publications
Geneva Co. AL Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Geneva Co. AL Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Geneva Co. AL Census Records
Geneva Co. AL Cemeteries & Graveyards
Geneva Co. AL Church & Bible Records
Geneva Co. AL Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Geneva Co. AL General and History Websites
Geneva Co. AL Immigration & Naturalization
Geneva Co. AL Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Geneva Co. AL Military Records
Geneva Co. AL Schools & Directories