Lamar County, Alabama Genealogy
Lamar County, Alabama genealogy and family tree research page. Discover links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to assist you to you track your personal Lamar Co., ancestors. Get started by constructing a Free Family Tree.
Lamar County was created on Feb. 4 1867, and was formed from Marion County and Fayette County. It was originally named Jones County after E.P. Jones, a resident of Fayette County. On Nov. 13, 1867, the county was abolished. On Oct. 8, 1868, the county was re-created under the name of Sanford County. On Feb. 8, 1877, the name was changed to Lamar. This particular county was named in honor of Lucius Q. C. Lamar (1825–1893)of Mississippi, U.S. Supreme Court justice.
The Lamar County Seat in 1866 Swayne courthouse was designated as the county seat. In 1868 the name was changed to Vernon, after Edmund Vernon, an immigrant from Vernon, England. In addition the county government website is http://www.alabama.gov/
Locations adjacent Lamar County happen to be Marion County (north), Fayette County (east), Pickens County (south), Lowndes County, Mississippi (southwest), Monroe County, Mississippi (west).
Cities and towns found in Lamar County consist of Beaverton, Detroit, Kennedy, Millport, Sulligent, Vernon.
Lamar County includes Federal Census Schedules to assist in looking into your family tree. Government Population Schedules can be found for 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. Lamar Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1870 and 1880. Lamar Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be obtained for 1870 and 1880. Lamar Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. Two State censuses for confederate veterans exist for 1907 and 1921. You can find free down-loadable and also printable census forms that can help with your research.
Lamar County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Lamar County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives. See Also Alabama Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links.
- Lamar County Genealogical and Historical Society, Box 793, Vernon, AL 35592; Publication: Links to Lamar
- AL-LAMAR-SULLIGENT. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in the town of Sulligent, Lamar County, Alabama. To subscribe send "subscribe" to firstname.lastname@example.org (mail mode) or email@example.com (digest mode).
- AL-LAMAR-VERNON. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in the town of Vernon, Lamar County, Alabama. To subscribe send "subscribe" to firstname.lastname@example.org (mail mode) or email@example.com (digest mode).
- ALLAMAR. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in Lamar County, Alabama. To subscribe send "subscribe" to firstname.lastname@example.org (mail mode) or email@example.com (digest mode).
- Alabama State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Lamar County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Lamar County, Alabama Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Lamar County
- Lamar County, Alabama Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Lamar County
Lamar County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist often overlook the significance of Lamar County court, probate, and land documents as a source of genealogy and family history details. Buried away in Alabama courthouses and archives just about everywhere are often the hopes and dreams and frustrations of countless Alabama people. The odds are excellent that your ancestors and forefathers have left a in-depth record of at least several aspects of their lives in the Lamar County court records. Even if your forebears is not discussed in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which could have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
You need to speak to the clerk's office to identify hours, mailing address, fees and other facts prior to visiting or asking for information because of in some cases changing contact info. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it's up to the person to carry out the research.
The below facts shows exactly what birth, marriage, death, land, probate, and legal records will be in Lamar County. The years pointed out below could be the first widely known documents in this county.
- Lamar County Clerk of Circuit Court serves as custodian of all county court records, and is responsible for providing access to those court records by court personnel, the legal community and the public.
- Address: P.O. Box 338, Vernon, AL 35592
- Phone: (205) 695-9119
- Court Records: 1867
- Divorce Records: are maintained among the equity records (Divorces issued prior to 1950 are located here. Divorces issued after 1950 can be found at the Alabama Department of Public Health)
- Lamar County Clerk of Probate Court maintains following records in the probate office: Plats, Maps, Judgments, Liens, Deeds, Mortgages, Corporations, Lis pendens, Marriage licenses, Military discharges. The Probate Judge presides over all probate court hearings for Probate of Wills, Administrations, Conservators, Guardianships, Adoptions, Legitimations, Name changes, Condemnations, Mental Commitment hearings, and performs marriage ceremonies.
- Address: P.O. Box 338, Vernon, AL 35592-0338
- Phone: (205) 695-9119
- Marriage Records: 1867 (Marriages issued prior to 1936)
- Probate Records: 1867
- Land Records: 1867
- Lamar County Revenue Commissioner's Office maintains County tax records. These records are usually arranged by legal description and are not indexed.
- Lamar County Health Department has Birth Records from N/A, Death records from N/A. You may go to any county health department in the State of Alabama to obtain a certificates can be issued while you wait.
Alabama Historical Records
- Databases include Alabama Court, Land, Wills & Financial Records; Alabama Birth, Marriage & Death Records; Alabama Voter Lists & Census Records; Alabama Immigration & Emigration Records; Alabama Obituary Records; Alabama Military Records; Alabama Family Tree Records; Alabama Pictures; Alabama Stories, Memories & Histories; Alabama Directories & Member Lists and much more....
Lamar County Genealogy Links
The following are web links to Genealogy and family history, Records and Resources relevant to Lamar County. Each of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is basically a directory that has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to present your own favorite Lamar County genealogy or family history related sites.
Lamar Co. AL Books, Newspapers & Publications
Lamar Co. AL Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Lamar Co. AL Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Lamar Co. AL Census Records
Lamar Co. AL Cemeteries & Graveyards
Lamar Co. AL Church & Bible Records
Lamar Co. AL Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Lamar Co. AL General and History Websites
Lamar Co. AL Immigration & Naturalization
Lamar Co. AL Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Lamar Co. AL Military Records
Lamar Co. AL Schools & Directories