Lowndes County, Alabama Genealogy
Lowndes County, Alabama genealogy and family tree research page. Discover links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to assist you to you track your personal Lowndes Co., ancestors. Get started by constructing a Free Family Tree.
Lowndes County was created on 20 Jan. 1830 from parts of Butler County, Dallas County and Montgomery County. This particular county was named in honor of South Carolina statesman William Lowndes.
Currently the Lowndes County Seat is located in Hayneville and in addition the county government website is http://www.alabama.gov/
Locations adjacent Lowndes County happen to be Autauga County (north), Montgomery County (east), Crenshaw County (southeast), Butler County (south), Wilcox County (southwest), Dallas County (west).
Cities and towns found in Lowndes County consist of Benton, Fort Deposit, Gordonville, Hayneville, Letohatchee, Lowndesboro, Mosses, White Hall.
Lowndes County includes Federal Census Schedules to assist in looking into your family tree. Government Population Schedules can be found for 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. Lowndes Co. Slave Schedules can be obtained for 1850 & 1860. Lowndes Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Lowndes Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Lowndes Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. Two State censuses for confederate veterans exist for 1907 and 1921. You can find free down-loadable and also printable census forms that can help with your research.
Lowndes County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Lowndes County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives. See Also Alabama Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links.
- Hayneville Public Library, 334-548-2686
- Lowndes County Historical & Genealogical Society , 5935 County Road 4, Minter, AL 36761
- Lowndes County Historical Society, 505 County Road 37, South, Hope Hull, AL 36043; 334-281-0309
- ALLOWNDE. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in Lowndes County, Alabama. To subscribe send "subscribe" to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode).
- Alabama State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Lowndes County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Lowndes County, Alabama Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Lowndes County
- Lowndes County, Alabama Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Lowndes County
Lowndes County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist often overlook the significance of Lowndes County court, probate, and land documents as a source of genealogy and family history details. Buried away in Alabama courthouses and archives just about everywhere are often the hopes and dreams and frustrations of countless Alabama people. The odds are excellent that your ancestors and forefathers have left a in-depth record of at least several aspects of their lives in the Lowndes County court records. Even if your forebears is not discussed in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which could have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
You need to speak to the clerk's office to identify hours, mailing address, fees and other facts prior to visiting or asking for information because of in some cases changing contact info. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it's up to the person to carry out the research.
The below facts shows exactly what birth, marriage, death, land, probate, and legal records will be in Lowndes County. The years pointed out below could be the first widely known documents in this county.
- Lowndes County Clerk of Circuit Court serves as custodian of all county court records, and is responsible for providing access to those court records by court personnel, the legal community and the public.
- Address: P.O. Box 65, Hayneville, AL 36040-0065
- Phone: (334) 548-2331, FAX: (334) 548-5101
- Court Records: 1830
- Divorce Records: are maintained among the equity records (Divorces issued prior to 1950 are located here. Divorces issued after 1950 can be found at the Alabama Department of Public Health)
- Lowndes County Clerk of Probate Court maintains following records in the probate office: Plats, Maps, Judgments, Liens, Deeds, Mortgages, Corporations, Lis pendens, Marriage licenses, Military discharges. The Probate Judge presides over all probate court hearings for Probate of Wills, Administrations, Conservators, Guardianships, Adoptions, Legitimations, Name changes, Condemnations, Mental Commitment hearings, and performs marriage ceremonies.
- Address: P.O. Box 66, Hayneville, AL 36040-0065
- Phone: (334) 584-2365
- Marriage Records: 1830 (Marriages issued prior to 1936)
- Probate Records: 1830
- Land Records: 1830
- Lowndes County Revenue Commissioner's Office maintains County tax records. These records are usually arranged by legal description and are not indexed.
- Lowndes County Health Department has Birth Records from MAR 1881-1904, delayed birth Cert. rec. 1879-1911, Death records from 1832 . You may go to any county health department in the State of Alabama to obtain a certificates can be issued while you wait.
Alabama Historical Records
- Databases include Alabama Court, Land, Wills & Financial Records; Alabama Birth, Marriage & Death Records; Alabama Voter Lists & Census Records; Alabama Immigration & Emigration Records; Alabama Obituary Records; Alabama Military Records; Alabama Family Tree Records; Alabama Pictures; Alabama Stories, Memories & Histories; Alabama Directories & Member Lists and much more....
Lowndes County Genealogy Links
The following are web links to Genealogy and family history, Records and Resources relevant to Lowndes County. Each of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is basically a directory that has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to present your own favorite Lowndes County genealogy or family history related sites.
Lowndes Co. AL Books, Newspapers & Publications
Lowndes Co. AL Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Lowndes Co. AL Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Lowndes Co. AL Census Records
Lowndes Co. AL Cemeteries & Graveyards
Lowndes Co. AL Church & Bible Records
Lowndes Co. AL Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Lowndes Co. AL General and History Websites
Lowndes Co. AL Immigration & Naturalization
Lowndes Co. AL Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Lowndes Co. AL Military Records
Lowndes Co. AL Schools & Directories