Macon County, Alabama Genealogy
Macon County, Alabama genealogy and family tree research page. Discover links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to assist you to you track your personal Macon Co., ancestors. Get started by constructing a Free Family Tree.
Macon County was created on Dec. 18, 1832, from territory acquired from the last cession of the Creek Indians, Mar. 24, 1832. Macon County received its present dimensions in 1866. This particular county was named in honor of Nathaniel Macon, a distinguished soldier and statesman from North Carolina.
Currently the Macon County Seat is located in Tuskegee, which means "warrior" in the Muskhogean dialect of the Creek Indian language and in addition the county government website is http://www.alabama.gov/
Locations adjacent Macon County happen to be Tallapoosa County (north), Lee County (northeast), Russell County (southeast), Bullock County (south), Montgomery County (southwest), Elmore County (northwest).
Cities and towns found in Macon County consist of Franklin, Creek Stand, Notasulga, Shorter, Tuskegee.
Macon County includes Federal Census Schedules to assist in looking into your family tree. Government Population Schedules can be found for 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. Macon Co. Slave Schedules can be obtained for 1850 & 1860. Macon Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Macon Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Macon Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. Two State censuses for confederate veterans exist for 1907 and 1921. You can find free down-loadable and also printable census forms that can help with your research.
Macon County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Macon County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives. See Also Alabama Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links.
- Macon County Genealogical Society, c/o Tuskegee Public Library, 302 S. Main St., Tuskegee, AL 36083
- Tuskegee Public Library, 334-727-5192
- Macon County Archives, 210 North Elm St., Tuskegee, AL 35611; 334-724-2619
- Genealogical Society of East Alabama
- ALMACON. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in Macon County, Alabama. Interested individuals may want to check out the Macon County ALGenWeb page. To subscribe send "subscribe" to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode).
- Alabama State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Macon County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Macon County, Alabama Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Macon County
- Macon County, Alabama Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Macon County
Macon County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist often overlook the significance of Macon County court, probate, and land documents as a source of genealogy and family history details. Buried away in Alabama courthouses and archives just about everywhere are often the hopes and dreams and frustrations of countless Alabama people. The odds are excellent that your ancestors and forefathers have left a in-depth record of at least several aspects of their lives in the Macon County court records. Even if your forebears is not discussed in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which could have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
You need to speak to the clerk's office to identify hours, mailing address, fees and other facts prior to visiting or asking for information because of in some cases changing contact info. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it's up to the person to carry out the research.
The below facts shows exactly what birth, marriage, death, land, probate, and legal records will be in Macon County. The years pointed out below could be the first widely known documents in this county.
- Macon County Clerk of Circuit Court serves as custodian of all county court records, and is responsible for providing access to those court records by court personnel, the legal community and the public.
- Address: 101 E. Northside St., Suite 101, Tuskagee, AL 36083-1712
- Phone: (334) 724-2611
- Court Records: 1828
- Divorce Records: are maintained among the equity records (Divorces issued prior to 1950 are located here. Divorces issued after 1950 can be found at the Alabama Department of Public Health)
- Macon County Clerk of Probate Court maintains following records in the probate office: Plats, Maps, Judgments, Liens, Deeds, Mortgages, Corporations, Lis pendens, Marriage licenses, Military discharges. The Probate Judge presides over all probate court hearings for Probate of Wills, Administrations, Conservators, Guardianships, Adoptions, Legitimations, Name changes, Condemnations, Mental Commitment hearings, and performs marriage ceremonies.
- Address: 101 East Northside Street, Tuskegee, AL 36083-1750
- Phone: (334) 727-1800.
- Marriage Records: 1832 (Marriages issued prior to 1936)
- Probate Records: 1824
- Land Records: 1832
- Macon County Revenue Commissioner's Office maintains County tax records. These records are usually arranged by legal description and are not indexed.
- Macon County Health Department has Birth Records from 1928 , Death records from 1928 . You may go to any county health department in the State of Alabama to obtain a certificates can be issued while you wait.
Alabama Historical Records
- Databases include Alabama Court, Land, Wills & Financial Records; Alabama Birth, Marriage & Death Records; Alabama Voter Lists & Census Records; Alabama Immigration & Emigration Records; Alabama Obituary Records; Alabama Military Records; Alabama Family Tree Records; Alabama Pictures; Alabama Stories, Memories & Histories; Alabama Directories & Member Lists and much more....
Macon County Genealogy Links
The following are web links to Genealogy and family history, Records and Resources relevant to Macon County. Each of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is basically a directory that has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to present your own favorite Macon County genealogy or family history related sites.
Macon Co. AL Books, Newspapers & Publications
Macon Co. AL Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Macon Co. AL Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Macon Co. AL Census Records
Macon Co. AL Cemeteries & Graveyards
Macon Co. AL Church & Bible Records
Macon Co. AL Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Macon Co. AL General and History Websites
Macon Co. AL Immigration & Naturalization
Macon Co. AL Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Macon Co. AL Military Records
Macon Co. AL Schools & Directories