Marengo County, Alabama Genealogy
Marengo County, Alabama genealogy and family tree research page. Discover links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to assist you to you track your personal Marengo Co., ancestors. Get started by constructing a Free Family Tree.
Marengo County was created on Feb. 6, 1818, from land acquired from the Choctaw Indians by the treaty of Oct. 24, 1816.. This particular county was named for Napoleon's great victory at Marengo over the Austrian armies on June 14, 1800..
The Marengo County Seat was originally known as "Town of Marengo." In 1823 the name was changed to Linden, a shortened version of "Hohenlinden," scene of a French victory in Bavaria in 1800. and in addition the county government website is http://www.alabama.gov/
Locations adjacent Marengo County happen to be Hale County (north), Perry County (northeast), Dallas County (east), Wilcox County (southeast), Clarke County (south), Choctaw County (southwest), Sumter County (northwest), Greene County (north-northwest).
Cities and towns found in Marengo County consist of Demopolis, Linden, Dayton, Faunsdale, Myrtlewood, Providence, Sweet Water, Thomaston.
Marengo County includes Federal Census Schedules to assist in looking into your family tree. Government Population Schedules can be found for 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. Marengo Co. Slave Schedules can be obtained for 1850 & 1860. Marengo Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Marengo Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Marengo Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. Two State censuses for confederate veterans exist for 1907 and 1921. You can find free down-loadable and also printable census forms that can help with your research.
Marengo County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Marengo County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives. See Also Alabama Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links.
- Marengo County Genealogical Society, c/o Demopolis Public Library; 2111 E. Washington Ave, Demopolis, AL 36732
- Marengo County Historical Society, Box 159, Demopolis, AL 36732
- Demopolis Public Library, 334-289-1595
- ALMARENG. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in Marengo County, Alabama. Interested individuals may want to check out the Marengo County ALGenWeb page. To subscribe send "subscribe" to ALMARENG-Lemail@example.com (mail mode) or ALMARENG-Dfirstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode).
- Alabama State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Marengo County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Marengo County, Alabama Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Marengo County
- Marengo County, Alabama Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Marengo County
Marengo County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist often overlook the significance of Marengo County court, probate, and land documents as a source of genealogy and family history details. Buried away in Alabama courthouses and archives just about everywhere are often the hopes and dreams and frustrations of countless Alabama people. The odds are excellent that your ancestors and forefathers have left a in-depth record of at least several aspects of their lives in the Marengo County court records. Even if your forebears is not discussed in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which could have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
You need to speak to the clerk's office to identify hours, mailing address, fees and other facts prior to visiting or asking for information because of in some cases changing contact info. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it's up to the person to carry out the research.
Courthouse fires occurred in 1848 and 1965. There was record loss due to a courthouse fire in 1848 and 1965 . The below facts shows exactly what birth, marriage, death, land, probate, and legal records will be in Marengo County. The years pointed out below could be the first widely known documents in this county.
- Marengo County Clerk of Circuit Court serves as custodian of all county court records, and is responsible for providing access to those court records by court personnel, the legal community and the public.
- Address: 101 E. Coats Ave., Linden, AL 36748-1546
- Phone: (334) 295-2210
- Court Records: 1819
- Divorce Records: are maintained among the equity records (Divorces issued prior to 1950 are located here. Divorces issued after 1950 can be found at the Alabama Department of Public Health)
- Marengo County Clerk of Probate Court maintains following records in the probate office: Plats, Maps, Judgments, Liens, Deeds, Mortgages, Corporations, Lis pendens, Marriage licenses, Military discharges. The Probate Judge presides over all probate court hearings for Probate of Wills, Administrations, Conservators, Guardianships, Adoptions, Legitimations, Name changes, Condemnations, Mental Commitment hearings, and performs marriage ceremonies.
- Address: 101 East Coats Avenue, Linden, AL 36748-1546
- Phone: (334) 295-5226
- Marriage Records: 1818 (Marriages issued prior to 1936)
- Probate Records: 1818
- Land Records: 1820
- Marengo County Revenue Commissioner's Office maintains County tax records. These records are usually arranged by legal description and are not indexed.
- Marengo County Health Department has Birth Records from 1881, Death records from 1906. You may go to any county health department in the State of Alabama to obtain a certificates can be issued while you wait.
Alabama Historical Records
- Databases include Alabama Court, Land, Wills & Financial Records; Alabama Birth, Marriage & Death Records; Alabama Voter Lists & Census Records; Alabama Immigration & Emigration Records; Alabama Obituary Records; Alabama Military Records; Alabama Family Tree Records; Alabama Pictures; Alabama Stories, Memories & Histories; Alabama Directories & Member Lists and much more....
Marengo County Genealogy Links
The following are web links to Genealogy and family history, Records and Resources relevant to Marengo County. Each of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is basically a directory that has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to present your own favorite Marengo County genealogy or family history related sites.
Marengo Co. AL Books, Newspapers & Publications
Marengo Co. AL Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Marengo Co. AL Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Marengo Co. AL Census Records
Marengo Co. AL Cemeteries & Graveyards
Marengo Co. AL Church & Bible Records
Marengo Co. AL Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Marengo Co. AL General and History Websites
Marengo Co. AL Immigration & Naturalization
Marengo Co. AL Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Marengo Co. AL Military Records
Marengo Co. AL Schools & Directories