Marshall County, Alabama Genealogy
Marshall County, Alabama genealogy and family tree research page. Discover links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to assist you to you track your personal Marshall Co., ancestors. Get started by constructing a Free Family Tree.
Marshall County was created on Jan. 9, 1836 and was formed from Jackson County and Blount County and Cherokee Cession of 1836. This particular county was named in honor of John Marshall (1755–1835), Chief Justice of the United States 1801–1835.
The Marshall County Seat was established in 1836 at Claysville, moved to Marshall in 1838, to Warrenton in 1841, and finally located at Guntersville in 1848 and in addition the county government website is http://www.marshallco.org/
Locations adjacent Marshall County happen to be Jackson County (northeast), DeKalb County (east), Etowah County (southeast), Blount County (south), Cullman County (southwest), Morgan County (west), Madison County (northwest).
Cities and towns found in Marshall County consist of Albertville, Arab, Boaz, Douglas, Grant, Horton, Guntersville, Union Grove.
Marshall County includes Federal Census Schedules to assist in looking into your family tree. Government Population Schedules can be found for 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. Marshall Co. Slave Schedules can be obtained for 1850 & 1860. Marshall Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Marshall Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Marshall Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. Two State censuses for confederate veterans exist for 1907 and 1921. You can find free down-loadable and also printable census forms that can help with your research.
Marshall County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Marshall County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives. See Also Alabama Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links.
- Guntersville Historical Society, 3600 Colonial Dr, Guntersville, AL 35976
- Tennessee Valley Genealogical Society, PO Box 1568, Huntsville, Alabama 35807; Publication: Valley Leaves
- Northeast Alabama Genealogical Society, Box 8268 , Gadsden, AL 35902; Publication: Northeast Alabama Settlers
- Guntersville Public Library, 256-571-7595
- ALMARSHA. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in Marshall County, Alabama. To subscribe send "subscribe" to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode).
- Alabama State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Marshall County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Marshall County, Alabama Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Marshall County
- Marshall County, Alabama Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Marshall County
Marshall County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist often overlook the significance of Marshall County court, probate, and land documents as a source of genealogy and family history details. Buried away in Alabama courthouses and archives just about everywhere are often the hopes and dreams and frustrations of countless Alabama people. The odds are excellent that your ancestors and forefathers have left a in-depth record of at least several aspects of their lives in the Marshall County court records. Even if your forebears is not discussed in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which could have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
You need to speak to the clerk's office to identify hours, mailing address, fees and other facts prior to visiting or asking for information because of in some cases changing contact info. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it's up to the person to carry out the research.
The below facts shows exactly what birth, marriage, death, land, probate, and legal records will be in Marshall County. The years pointed out below could be the first widely known documents in this county.
- Marshall County Clerk of Circuit Court serves as custodian of all county court records, and is responsible for providing access to those court records by court personnel, the legal community and the public.
- Address: 424 Blount Ave., Guntersville, AL 35976-0610
- Phone: (256) 571-7701
- Court Records: ?
- Divorce Records: are maintained among the equity records (Divorces issued prior to 1950 are located here. Divorces issued after 1950 can be found at the Alabama Department of Public Health)
- Marshall County Clerk of Probate Court maintains following records in the probate office: Plats, Maps, Judgments, Liens, Deeds, Mortgages, Corporations, Lis pendens, Marriage licenses, Military discharges. The Probate Judge presides over all probate court hearings for Probate of Wills, Administrations, Conservators, Guardianships, Adoptions, Legitimations, Name changes, Condemnations, Mental Commitment hearings, and performs marriage ceremonies.
- Address: Guntersville, AL 35976
- Phone: (256) 921-3172
- Marriage Records: 1836 (Marriages issued prior to 1936)
- Probate Records: 1843
- Land Records: 1836
- Marshall County Revenue Commissioner's Office maintains County tax records. These records are usually arranged by legal description and are not indexed.
- Marshall County Health Department has Birth Records from N/A, Death records from N/A. You may go to any county health department in the State of Alabama to obtain a certificates can be issued while you wait.
Alabama Historical Records
- Databases include Alabama Court, Land, Wills & Financial Records; Alabama Birth, Marriage & Death Records; Alabama Voter Lists & Census Records; Alabama Immigration & Emigration Records; Alabama Obituary Records; Alabama Military Records; Alabama Family Tree Records; Alabama Pictures; Alabama Stories, Memories & Histories; Alabama Directories & Member Lists and much more....
Marshall County Genealogy Links
The following are web links to Genealogy and family history, Records and Resources relevant to Marshall County. Each of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is basically a directory that has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to present your own favorite Marshall County genealogy or family history related sites.
Marshall Co. AL Books, Newspapers & Publications
Marshall Co. AL Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Marshall Co. AL Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Marshall Co. AL Census Records
Marshall Co. AL Cemeteries & Graveyards
Marshall Co. AL Church & Bible Records
Marshall Co. AL Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Marshall Co. AL General and History Websites
Marshall Co. AL Immigration & Naturalization
Marshall Co. AL Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Marshall Co. AL Military Records
Marshall Co. AL Schools & Directories